IFAB approves ‘extensive trials’ for concussion substitutes

IFAB approves ‘extensive trials’ for concussion substitutes

The go-ahead has been given for trials to start from January 2021. Football’s lawmakers have approved “extensive trials” for additional permanent concussion substitutes.

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) announced on Wednesday that it had given the go-ahead for trials to start from January 2021.

A statement read: “Following consultation with key stakeholders and recommendations from the Concussion Expert Group (CEG) and the IFAB’s Football and Technical Advisory Panels (FAP-TAP), today’s annual business meeting approved extensive trials with additional permanent substitutions for actual or suspected concussion as of January 2021.”

IFAB said that its members “agreed that, in the event of an actual or suspected concussion. The player in question should be permanently removed from the match to protect their welfare, but the player’s team should not suffer a numerical disadvantage”.

The Football Association had already stated that it was hoping to introduce the additional substitute. At the “earliest possible stage” of the men’s and women’s FA Cup competitions. As well as the Women’s Super League and Championship.

Cont.

Two different protocols will be trialled – in the first, a team can make one additional change if a concussion is suspected, but the opposition cannot make an extra change. In the second, which the FA has confirmed it wants to trial. Teams are allowed up to two concussion substitutes. For each additional substitute introduced. The opposition able to make the same number of changes to counter any perception of unfair advantage gained.

It understood the Premier League waiting to see the detail of concussion protocol from IFAB before making a decision.

Its clubs are meeting on Thursday, and there could be a vote on when and if to make the change at that meeting.

Highlighting the key reasons behind its decision, IFAB said: “This approach: prevents a player sustaining another concussion during the match as multiple head-injury incidents can have very serious consequences; sends a strong message that, if in doubt, the player withdrawn. But there is no numerical or tactical disadvantage by prioritising the player’s welfare; reduces the pressure on medical personnel to make a quick assessment; And simple to operate and can apply at all levels of the game, including most of the football that played without doctors or medically qualified staff available on site.”

IFAB also approved the extension of the law allowing up to five substitutions in top-level competitions For domestic competitions, this has extended to December 31, 2021. And for international tournaments to July 31 2022.

Cont…

FA chief executive Mark Bullingham confirmed the five-substitution amendment would be adopted for this season’s FA Cup. Stating it was a “player welfare” issue. He expressed “surprise” that the Premier League had not adopted it for the 2020-21 season.

On the handball law, which has the subject of so much controversy so far this season IFAB said its members “Agreed that further clarification should be considered at the Annual General Meeting”.

IFAB added: “It was agreed that not every touch of a player’s hand/arm with the ball is an offence. In terms of ‘unnaturally bigger’, referees should judge the position of the hand/arm. In relation to the player’s movement in that phase of play.”

The AGM will will take place via video conference on March 5 next year.

The FA welcomed the IFAB announcement on concussion subs And confirmed it would look at introducing trials as soon as possible in the men’s and women’s FA Cups And the top two divisions of women’s football.

Cont…

And then It said in a statement. “Player welfare is of paramount importance. And the FA has played an active role in lobbying for the IFAB. To support the introduction of head injury substitutes within the rules of football. The IFAB trial for an additional permanent head injury substitute has officially supported by a wide range of medical experts.

Also “As a result of today’s announcement, the FA can confirm that it will start the process of applying to the IFAB. To introduce these trials at the earliest practical opportunity across the 2020-21 Emirates FA Cup and Vitality Women’s FA Cup. And for the Barclays FA Women’s Super League and FA Women’s Championship.

Also then “Working within the guidelines set out by the IFAB, the FA will work with the clubs involved in these competitions to ensure they are able to support their players and medical teams during the implementation of this trial.

Cont…

“This new trial will enable all teams in these competitions to promote and raise awareness for the FA’s concussion guidelines Including the ‘If In Doubt, Sit Them Out’ policy And it will empower medical teams to make player-centred decisions of removal from the field The FA will continue to work with its stakeholders across football To help support players, clubs and medical teams when identifying and managing head injuries during a game.”

IFAB approves ‘extensive trials’ for concussion substitutes

And Now talk on your favourite team, with people just like you, only on SportsTalk. Visit our Forum Page

Also Now you get Best Odds, Only on BetPat

Also then Read, Football’s lawmakers set to provide clarification on handball ruling

Leave a Reply